Saturday, December 25, 2010

Top Bass Fishing Tips - Part Four - Dead Sticking For More Bass


This is the Fourth installment in our five part series called Top Bass Fishing Tips. If you missed the first three then you will not want to to miss this week's installment.

In this fourth article I want to look at the fine art of dead sticking for more bass. Dead sticking for bass is simply casting out your bait or lure, and letting it sit out there until you can't take it anymore. It tests your patience, but that is exactly the purpose behind this bass fishing technique. It should come as no surprise that a bass can out wait you. People by nature are impatient and even after casting out a power grub or any other bait or lure and letting it just sit out there, "dead sticking" in the water for a few minutes most people will be going insane. But this is the point behind this bass fishing technique.

Let me share with you a quick story to illustrate this technique. I was fishing up north in the weeds searching for those campfire story sized largemouth bass. I was flipping, chucking spinner baits, walking the dog etc. basically every trick I had that my tackle box could deliver and was catching more of my impatience then anything else. When all of a sudden, I noticed that there were bass in the area but they were following my baits and lures so slow that I hadn't noticed them before. Ok what to do? I knew that these bass were inactive, very inactive, most likely these bass already had their guts full, so their eyes were bigger then their stomachs but they still felt the need to follow baits and lures they just didn't have the motivation to nail them.

So I tried the dead sticking bass fishing technique. I let my power frogs sit out there in the weed clumps for what turned into my brain into nothing short of insanity. You would be surprised at how long an inactive fully fed bass will stare at your baits. Believe me when I say longer then you can handle not touching the urge to reel it in. Then finally, I started catching bass. Sure I didn't boat dozens but this bass fishing technique works.

It's best to try this when you know the bass are there, and non of the other tricks and tactics are working. When this is the case you have nothing to loose but time to try dead sticking. I bet you would be surprised at the results. My personal experience has shown that plastic baits and lures work best with this bass fishing technique so don't be afraid when you find very inactive bass, to go with this bass fishing technique. It's better to catch a few bass then nothing but frustration. Inactive bass fishing requires you to slow your presentations down, and if they are super inactive perhaps because their bellies are full, you'll have to slow it down even more and this is when dead sticking to catch more bass comes into play.

Stay tuned for the next article that will continue our series on top bass fishing tips and I hope you follow along in our series to pick up even more great bass fishing techniques.








To learn more bass fishing tips that can help you catch more bass, head on over to Understanding Bass Habitat Tips . A great resource for a more in-depth look at bass fishing.


No comments: